Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
As part of Waymo's Legal team, you will work on the exciting legal issues surrounding our transformational autonomous driving technology and help drive our business lines forward from technology ideation through scaled commercial deployment. We partner with our public policy, safety, security and privacy experts to define transportation policy for the autonomous driving world to come, advising on regulatory changes that support and protect our users around the world. We collaborate with our engineering, product, strategy and operations teams to develop and protect our intellectual property portfolio and drive our corporate and commercial transactions. We ensure compliance with an increasingly complex and dynamic range of global regulations. And we anticipate, mitigate, and litigate high-profile and precedent-setting legal matters.
This role will be based remotely and report into Managing Counsel, Product & Regulatory.
In this role you'll:
- Develop vision, strategy, and implementation for complying with a range of regulations - this includes interpreting legacy legal and regulatory frameworks that didn't contemplate our novel technology and advising on new laws and regulations developed with AVs and related emerging technology in mind.
- Advise on matters at the local, state, and federal level, with an emphasis on areas of greatest need (e.g. land use and zoning for our sites; airport operations; new operational territories; legislative review and drafting of proposed legislation and regulations; advising our Policy team as they engage with policymakers).
- Engage in planning efforts to ensure that regulatory compliance and strategy are properly incorporated into the project roadmap.
- Respond to novel questions of law on various topics, including issues that may be new to you and/or the company.
- Provide counsel on proposed legislation and regulations and in negotiations among partners. Collaborate with our Policy team on advocacy strategies for engaging with regulators and policymakers, particularly at the local level.
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school and active bar membership
- 3 to 5+ years of experience as an attorney at a firm, in-house at a company, or in government.
- Experience with regulatory and legislative matters (e.g. engaging in rulemaking processes, advising on legislative bill text, building regulatory compliance programs for a rapidly scaling company with a range of partners).
- Experience generating nuanced and advice for novel or ambiguous legal issues.
- Experience digging into nuances of the law, while at the same time understanding the bigger picture of the legal, policy, and business landscapes.
- Desire to learn how our complex technology works and apply that knowledge in your legal interpretations and advice.
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience advising on city/local level regulatory or legislative matters (e.g. land use, airports, or other local issues).
- Experience working on emerging technology issues, bonus for experience with technology that impacts cities, mobility, or safety.
This is a remote role.
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site or hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave with up to 4 weeks of additional leave before their due date, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 days of subsidized backup childcare or adult/elder care.. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you'll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, massages, and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
The expected base salary range for this full-time position across US locations is listed below. Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the role location or, if the role can be performed remote, the specific salary range for your preferred location, during the hiring process.
Waymo employees are also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program, equity incentive plan, and generous Company benefits program, subject to eligibility requirements.