Integrated Circuit Packaging Lead, Signal Integrity Power Integrity
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's autonomous driving technology, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you’ll:
- Work with the team to develop the next generation ASIC and Compute hardware for Waymo Driver
- Lead package development for HVM from beginning to end (architecture, substrate design, SI/PI, thermal, mechanical, TMTV, material, assembly, reliability, and qualification)
- Explore and define advanced package technologies with trade offs between cost, reliability, performance, and manufacturability
- Lead Package SI/PI. Perform power-aware SI analysis for high-speed and memory interfaces. Perform PI analysis to optimize PDN design (ballmap, layout, decap)
- Work with cross-functional teams to design, bring-up, and productionize systems. Perform feasibility studies to provide system level design guide
- Develop test plan and execute SIPI validation at chip level and system level
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BS/MS in EE or CS with 9+ years relevant working experience with strong hands-on capabilities
- Strong experience and expertise in package design, process, and technology development. Leading Package from conceptual phase to high volume production
- Experience in complex packages and chiplet technologies
- Good working knowledge of Package reliability requirements, specifications, and manufacturability.
- Solid understanding of Package SI/PI modeling, simulation, and optimization (on high-speed interface, memory interface, core PI, etc)
- Good working knowledge of high-speed interfaces (PCIe, MIPI, USB, Ethernet) and memory interfaces (DDR, LPDDR, HBM)
It’s preferred if you have:
- PhD in EE or CS with 4+ years relevant working experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in EDA tools such as HFSS, SIwave, PowerSI, ADS, HSPICE
- Experienced with OSTAs and suppliers on Package integration, assembly, substrate manufacturing, and material development
- Familiarity with automotive qualification standards (AEC-Q100, AEC-Q104)
- Familiarity with automotive interfaces such as GMSL, BRR, 1000Base-T1
- Experience with lab equipment such as oscilloscope, VNA and TDR
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), on-site physicians and/or nurses in some locations, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan or regional retirement plans, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site, hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, Waymo recharge days, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 subsidized days of backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education tuition reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, personal training sessions, massages, haircuts, bike repairs, office transportation, commuter benefits and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
* Please note that while our benefits philosophy is the same in every place Waymonauts work, benefits may vary by office/country and are subject to eligibility requirements.