Senior Product Manager, Data Infrastructure
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
In this role you'll:
- Invent the way data generated by autonomous vehicles is turned into a business asset. This includes maximizing the value extracted from the enormous amounts of data flowing through our systems, while minimizing the costs and operational burden associated with capturing and storing the information
- Work across all functions involved in AV software development to determine the optimal data strategy, and help design the infrastructure that will support that strategy
- Own the roadmap for the data component of Waymo’s scaling plan. This includes the overall logging strategy to support ML development and safety validation, as well as the data infrastructure that will support optimal business decision making
- Develop, present, evangelize, and defend your plans to scale Waymo’s success through excellent data infrastructure
- Identify new opportunities and gaps where Waymo can innovate, demonstrate ability to build consensus for those ideas and make them into reality
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 4-5 years PM experience in a related area (ex: ML infrastructure design, data management, computer HW development)
- Proven track record of successful collaboration with senior Engineering management
- Outstanding communication skills (experience in pitching ideas at all levels, including convincing executives of business-changing strategies)
- Strong negotiation skills, and a very strong group presenter who aligns teams and compels people to action
- Strong stakeholder relationships & partnerships including at the executive level
- Entrepreneurial negotiator spirit, securing resources needed for the team
- Be recognized as a highly effective and respected decision maker on your project portfolio as well as product expert in the area
- Fearless product leader to challenge the status-quo and comfort zone. Push back when teams choose to settle on an easy way out, while also balancing important signals from the ground up
It’s preferred if you have:
- 5+ years PM experience
- Extensive experience launching scaled products
- Experience working with multiple engineering and product teams, often with conflicting interests and demonstrated ability to broker compromises among them
- Experience with “economics” of resource quotas, development of incentive structures for managing behavior of multiple parties
- Experience presenting to audiences with a wide variety of seniority and functions while building credibility with all of them
- Experience with hardware development cycles and long-term product roadmapping while also driving short-cycle development in the interim
The expected base salary range for this full-time position across US locations is listed below. Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the role location or, if the role can be performed remote, the specific salary range for your preferred location, during the hiring process.
Waymo employees are also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program, equity incentive plan, and generous Company benefits program, subject to eligibility requirements.
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), on-site physicians and/or nurses in some locations, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan or regional retirement plans, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site, hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, Waymo recharge days, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 subsidized days of backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education tuition reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, personal training sessions, massages, haircuts, bike repairs, office transportation, commuter benefits and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
* Please note that while our benefits philosophy is the same in every place Waymonauts work, benefits may vary by office/country and are subject to eligibility requirements.