Security Operations Center Manager
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
Waymo's cars may be self-driving, but its security program is steered by experts like you. Safety is our foundation and is at the heart of everything we do. As Waymo Security Operations Center (WaySOC) Manager you will drive the strategy, development and deployment of a comprehensive security operations center for Waymo, including planning and leading physical security optimization projects in a fast-paced and ambiguous environment. At every turn, process excellence, collaboration, and detailed cross-org communications are critical. You will implement strategic improvements and efficiencies while assuring alignment and compliance with security policies and requirements.
This role reports to the Head of Physical Security, Waymo and is located in the Phoenix, AZ metropolitan area.
In this role you'll:
- Build a comprehensive Waymo Security Operations Center program that aligns with our company strategic goals.
- Operationalize and lead an integrated WaySOC by providing strategic, tactical, technical, and operational oversight. Manage and improve daily operations and escalations.
- Develop strategic direction of a security operations center as an organizational value driver; drive efficiencies of scale across key partners with shared goals.
- Analyze, develop, and strengthen processes and procedures; spearhead process development and integration across the greater physical security and operations teams and scaling operations. Enhance risk management protocols with special consideration to the location-driven variables of the locations in which Waymo operates.
- Empower the team to utilize the resources and knowledge necessary to manage incidents and escalations. Help develop a team of diverse employees and contractors including 24/7 shift employees and vendor staff and technical projects in respective areas of expertise.
- Influence and collaborate with all partners to ensure Operations Center solutions are thoughtful. Orchestrate escalations of Operations Center support requests and field requests from partners. Communicate with different audiences up to executive leadership.
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- 8 years of experience working in an emergency operations center with dynamic experience in crisis and incident response with an ability to maintain calm and efficiency in high-pressure situations.
- Documented experience of incident command, including stakeholder management to reach resolution, and performing security investigations
- Experience in development and execution of central security operations, including building net-new processes and procedures
- Demonstrated record balancing strategic, technical, and operational groups with differing priorities and using data to guide decision making.
- Experience managing small-to-medium sized teams and/or large outsourced/vendor teams.
- Effective management skills; accomplished at harmonizing numerous complex groups spread globally.
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience with fleet management.
- Demonstrated experience towards decision-making to define strategy, spark growth, and fuel long-term impact.
- Hands-on experience formulating, integrating, and deploying security tools.
- Experience guiding others to results
- Excellent project management and skills.
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer a great compensation package, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site or hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave with up to 4 weeks of additional leave before their due date, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 days of subsidized backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you'll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, massages, and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
The expected base salary range for this full-time position across US locations is listed below. Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the role location or, if the role can be performed remote, the specific salary range for your preferred location, during the hiring process.
Waymo employees are also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program, equity incentive plan, and generous Company benefits program, subject to eligibility requirements.