Software Technical Lead, Waymo Commercialization Engineering
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully autonomous driving technology. Our software allows the Waymo Driver to perceive the world around it, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you're a software engineer or researcher who's curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
Want to build the next generation of infrastructure for driverless cars? Join the Waymo Commercialization team, and help design the future of transportation! We are looking for a passionate Staff SWE who wants to help build the systems that manage and optimize Waymo's core ride hailing and fleet management systems.
The ideal candidate is someone who can be self-sufficient and product-minded. You will be working on cross-cutting problems that will require strong cross-team collaboration, both technically (mobile app, cloud backends, and the Waymo Driver) and functionally (operations, product, legal, partnerships, policy & privacy) to develop and deliver business critical infrastructure.
In this role, you'll:
- Help build and evolve one or more mission-critical commercialization tools and systems
- Collaborate with Product, UX, and other engineering teams to develop systems and processes as business needs grow and evolve
- Solve hard, real-world problems such as demand planning, pickup / dropoff optimization, fleet optimization, field escalation handling, and more
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- 6+ years experience working with backend tech (e.g. C++, Spanner)
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity, solving large, open-ended problems
- Ability to think strategically and architecturally, while balancing short- and long-term needs
- Excellent communication and collaboration - ability to work across multiple teams to achieve long-term goals
- Ability to work outside standard hours, including beyond 5 pm CET, required due to close collaboration with US-based engineering teams
- Location: This position will be seated at the Google Warsaw office
It's preferred if you have one or more of:
- Passion for working in cross functional environments that include nontechnical stakeholders
- Familiarity with Google infrastructure (e.g. Flume, Borg, Protocol Buffers, OnePlatform)
- Experience with operations tooling, developer productivity, or developer tools
- Experience working with frontend tech (e.g. Angular Typescript, Dart)
- Experience with optimization / OR scheduler
- Experience with Geo (pathfinder, mapfacts, walking directions)
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, gym membership, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous PPK/PPO retirement plan, and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support a hybrid work mode, offer paid time off, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid family leave (total of 41 weeks between the parents - with at least 9 weeks due only to each parent).
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, massages, and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.