Head, Real Estate Development & Project Delivery
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
As Head, Real Estate Development & Project Delivery, you will manage the strategic construction delivery of Waymo’s real estate portfolio and influence the future of Waymo’s infrastructure. You will deliver nascent real estate typologies, critical charging infrastructure, and other major technical projects. You will lead project managers in a fast-paced environment, assessing and managing new requirements while simultaneously developing typologies to support our strategic roadmap. Process excellence, collaboration, and detailed cross-organization communications are critical.
You will report to the Director, Global Places & Services and be located in any of the following locations: Mountain View, CA; San Francisco, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Phoenix, AZ; Austin, TX.
This role will:
- Ensure exceptional construction project delivery that aligns with Waymo’s long-term goals. Guide project management to deliver essential long-pole infrastructure. Further develop fast charging capability, ensuring successful infrastructure implementation to support Waymo’s fleet through scale.
- Oversee detailed construction delivery, from early due-diligence through the first day of business. Position real estate as a success driver to support the fast-advancing technology and operational needs.
- Engage partners at the global and executive level through trusted relationships and ensure agreement between investments, portfolio strategies, and execution. Communicate expectations and requirements to executive-level partners that highlight the importance of real estate in Waymo’s strategies; translate operational needs into infrastructure requirements.
- Build a team to manage high volumes of complex transactions and improvements while considering continued portfolio expansion. Manage outsourced vendor relationships, including RFQ/RFP creation, bid negotiations, and ongoing performance management (i.e., service level agreements).
- Lead comprehensive due-diligence to inform site selection and strategic project execution to meet time-sensitive and volatile needs. Ensure stability of project execution, emphasizing constraints inclusive of utilities, AHJ code, and budget.
- Provide executive reporting and recommendations for specific infrastructure solutions, inclusive of schedule and budget constraints, in partnership with GPS real estate peers.
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- 12+ years experience in technical, complex construction project management, with specialty in industrial operations and R&D labs totaling at least 2M square ft.
- Advanced proficiency in comprehensive due-diligence and strategic project execution.
- Advanced financial analytics, budget and schedule forecasting acumen, using third-party vendor resources like project managers, architects, and contractors.
- Demonstrated leadership to inspire diverse project teams to meet goals with vision, mission, and strategy. Manage team of at least (2) FTEs.
- Global or executive level stakeholder engagement experience. Advanced ability to create collaborative relationships, lead internally and externally across levels, and succeed in an ambiguous environment.
- Mastery in independently analyzing information, conveying ideas, and delivering compelling presentations; build productive relationships across levels.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Real estate transaction experience, including informing deal negotiations, tenant improvement allowances and base building delivery conditions.
- Experience deploying electric vehicle fleet charging infrastructure.
- Experience in strategic program implementation and objective analysis within matrixed organizations in an atmosphere where speed, nimbleness, and frugality are the norm.
- Interest in working in a startup environment in the tech industry.
- Experience partnering with real estate, technology, and facilities partners.
- Experience directly delivering network and security technology infrastructure.
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer a great compensation package, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site or hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave with up to 4 weeks of additional leave before their due date, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 days of subsidized backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, massages, and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
The expected base salary range for this full-time position across US locations is listed below. Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the role location or, if the role can be performed remote, the specific salary range for your preferred location, during the hiring process.
Waymo employees are also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program, equity incentive plan, and generous Company benefits program, subject to eligibility requirements.