Staff Software Engineer, Foundation Modeling Infrastructure, Technical Lead
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
Perception Scalability and Infrastructure supports the development of Perception’s onboard and offboard systems. This spans areas from a high functioning and performant onboard real-time system to offboard systems that support our Machine Learning development including data extraction, model development, evaluation, debugging, and data mining.
This role is focused on building systems and leading cross organizationally to enable development of more complex model architectures and enable a transition to foundation models. In this role, you will report into our Head of Perception Scalability and Infrastructure.
In this role, you'll:
- Design and implement shared data and modeling infrastructure
- Optimize ML training throughput, resource utilization, and research velocity
- Collaborate with teams across Waymo
- Build tools for automation
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- Demonstrated expertise in C++ or Python
- Deep understanding of large-scale distributed systems, from design to implementation
- Experience scaling complex machine learning systems to multiple deployments
- Experience in Robotics or Machine Learning
It's preferred if you have:
- Familiarity with Google Infrastructure: Flume, Spanner, Borg, Tensorflow, JAX, or Guitar
- Experience deploying large-scale production systems with many ML models
- Experience optimizing High-Performance systems
- Experience with HLO, Triton, GPU, or TPU optimization
- Experience with PyTorch
The expected base salary range for this full-time position across US locations is listed below. Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the role location or, if the role can be performed remote, the specific salary range for your preferred location, during the hiring process.
Waymo employees are also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program, equity incentive plan, and generous Company benefits program, subject to eligibility requirements.