Systems Engineer, Fault Protection
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo's systems engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this systems engineering role, you’ll:
- Design architecture, drive discussions, and lead trade studies, focusing on safety and fault tolerance.
- Develop detailed and verifiable requirements for fault tolerance and system fault responses, based on the high level safety requirements.
- Collaborate with hardware, software and systems engineers to identify necessary fault monitors across the system and define the appropriate system fallback response and local responses.
- Develop and execute verification and validation plans to ensure the fault protection strategy has been implemented correctly and ensures a safe self-driving car
- Plan, execute, and document tests to verify and validate fault protection, expose issues, and identify root causes. Test complex hardware/software systems that push the frontier in hardware design, software design, and system integration. Conduct hands-on test preparation and execution, as well as analyze results to sign-off requirements for driverless operations.
- Balance competing requirements across the system, which involves multidisciplinary problem solving, detailed analysis and testing, and driving consensus among domain experts and other stakeholders.
We’d like you to have:
- 5 or more years of experience in a similar role.
- Background in aerospace, robotics, and/or automotive industries, with depth of experience in at least one technical area (e.g. motion control, software, sensing, etc).
- Strong systems engineering fundamentals across the full product lifecycle, from system architecture through transition into operations, especially for complex systems with safety-critical hardware and software components.
- Hands-on experience and familiarity with test methods for executing fault injection tests in a vehicle (hardware) and/or software simulation environment.
- Experience with data analysis (e.g. using Python or MATLAB), including using datasets.
- Experience with FMEAs, hazard analysis, fault trees and/or branch termination analysis.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.