Body Exterior and Structures Lead Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Novi, Michigan, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Lead Engineer role, you'll:
- Develop and release exterior covers, trim, ornamentation, and associated hardware for integration of self-driving system sensors and modules.
- Provide engineering feasibility to industrial design concepts.
- Collaborate with cross functional engineering teams, manufacturing, supply chain, industrial design, suppliers, external partners, and other stakeholders to successfully deliver robust systems from concept through production launch.
- Support vehicle prototype and production build activities, ensuring proper fit and function of components, and resolving issues.
- Engage a team of engineers, designers, and suppliers; conduct team meetings and lead system reviews with peers, stakeholders, and management.
We'd like you to have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 7+ years experience with automotive exteriors product development covering closures, panels, fascias, glazing, sealing, and lighting. Some structures experience also preferred. Experience leading small teams of engineers (4-10) preferred
- Proven track record of delivery from concept through launch
- Experience with CAD design, CATIA V5/V6 preferred
- Proven history of successfully working with industrial design
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal and visual) and ability to influence others.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.