Systems Engineer Manager, Motion Control
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this Systems Engineer Manager role, you'll:
- Hire, train and mentor top notch engineers to add to the capabilities and capacity of an existing team
- Create a team environment that fosters inclusion and respect and allows team members to thrive personally and professionally
- Develop or improve the team’s tools and processes as way to amplify the contributions of each team member
- Develop a principled framework for navigating novel and complex challenges to bring clarity and direction to your team and teammates
- Lead the team technically through the complex development of autonomous vehicle motion control systems including braking, steering and powertrain
- Your and your team will be responsible for defining and communicating the requirements of the motion control systems to the internal and external engineering teams
- You and your team will be responsible for developing scalable, thorough and robust testing systems to verify the performance of the motion control systems
- You and your team will contribute to the overall architecture and design of the motion control systems with a particular emphasis on system level performance, fault handling and reliability
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant Engineering or related field (including ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
- 10 or more years engineering experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- 3 or more years direct management experience, with a demonstrated ability to grow and lead high performing teams.
- 3 or more years experience designing or testing electromechanical systems, particularly automotive, aerospace systems or other safety critical systems
- SW development experience (including C/C++, Python, or MATLAB)
- Strong foundation in system engineering principles such as requirements definition, formal verification and validation methods
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.