Software Engineer, Machine Learning Expert for Planning and Control
Mountain View, California, United States
At Waymo, we’re focused on bringing self-driving technology to the world with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. In 2017, Waymo made history by putting cars on public roads with no drivers behind the wheel. Today, our driverless cars are serving our first customers. To experience our self-driving technology, see this 360-degree video.
We are looking for Machine-Learning applied research experts for our Planning and Decision-Making group.
In this role, you'll explore and apply cutting-edge ML approaches to the problems of decision making and motion planning. You'll be working with a creative team of people who are responsible for ensuring that the behavior of our cars is safe, smooth, and predictable to other road users, which includes gracefully handling many complex situations involving social aspects (merging, negotiating narrow roads, etc), while dealing with noisy, uncertain, and incomplete information.
The field of ML for real-time planning in complex interactive environments offers tremendous potential and impact -- as well as some unique challenges that make it a much more open field.
In this role, you’ll: :
- explore and develop cutting-edge ML approaches for decision making and planning
- apply these approaches, scale them to Google-sized data pipelines, and streamline them to run in real-time on the cars
- collaborate with other Waymo, Google, and Alphabet groups focused on ML
We’d like you to have:
- MS/PHD in Computer Science, Robotics, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience in at least one of: robotics research in motion planning and control (e.g., trajectory optimization, planning under uncertainty, probabilistic robotics, optimal control, guidance, navigation and control, etc.), data analysis at scale, machine learning at scale
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- Experience programming in C++ and with robust, safety-critical, efficient code
- Experience solving software problems using geometry and linear algebra
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.