Local Policy and Community Manager
Chandler, Arizona, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team has a front seat in this exciting moment in the evolution of autonomous vehicle, transportation and tech policy. Successful navigation of the policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business. Our team works directly with policymakers and third party groups at the national, state and local levels to help advance transportation policy, educate on the safety benefits of the technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, and partnerships teams, and we work closely with highly-skilled legal and safety experts.
In this Local Policy and Community Manager role you'll:
- Support the Head of Local Policy with the overall management of Waymo's work with cities, counties and the community
- Represent Waymo’s local-level policy interests externally (i.e. community events, conferences, hosting VIP guests)
- Develop and execute strategic engagement plans for the Greater Phoenix area
- Monitor local legislative and competitive activity
- Monitor community sentiment and identify opportunities for engagement
- Prepare for meetings with stakeholders by doing background research, collecting relevant and approved talking points, and coordinating logistics
We'd like you to have:
- BA/BS degree; and 3-7 years of working in either government, a government affairs role within the private sector, or at a non-profit that interfaces with government
- An established political network and community ties in the greater Phoenix area
- An appreciation for and understanding of the role of local government and community engagement, especially related to the emerging field of AVs
- Experience interacting with VIPs, ideally those in elected office
- Well organized, attention to detail and ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- A humble, collaborative, flexible, creative and goal-oriented approach to work
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.