Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Perception team at Waymo develops cutting-edge technologies and machine learning models to enable our self-driving cars to make sense of the world. This requires detection, recognition, tracking and understanding of all relevant objects in the surrounding of the vehicle. It is vital to perform these tasks precisely for safe navigation in complex traffic scenarios and such level of precision is only possible by relying on a diverse set of sensors including LIDARs, cameras and radars.
We are looking for researchers and software engineers who are passionate about developing computer vision and machine learning techniques for the perception systems on our self-driving cars, and have an incessant drive to improve the performance of our technology stack. You will be part of a creative team of engineers and researchers who solve similar challenging problems and help advance our state of the art perception system.
In this role, you will
- Investigate and develop computer vision algorithms and ML models for the perception system.
- Work on deployment of these models on a large fleet of Waymo vehicles.
- Evaluate and understand the challenges that need to be tackled to have a safe and comfortable experience in our vehicles.
At a minimum we’d like you to have
- B.Sc. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or a related field.
- Hands-on experience in computer vision and machine learning projects (2+ years).
- Strong C++ and/or Python programming skills.
It’s preferred if you have
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in computer vision, machine learning, or a related field.
- Extensive experience in deep learning.
- Industry research or production experience.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.