Software Engineer - Estimation, Optimization & Sensor Fusion
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
The Positioning team at Waymo is responsible for determining the location, orientation and velocity of the car. We do everything from selecting IMU’s and writing firmware, to implementing estimation algorithms like Kalman and particle filters, to analyzing safety and redundancy system architectures.
In this role, you'll:
- Develop and run large scale optimization and estimation routines. Replay and simulate using existing log data to characterize performance, tune parameters, identify failures and provide performance guarantees
- Integrate sensors into pose estimation and inertial navigation algorithms for deployment on the self driving car. Examples include Kalman filters, EKF, UKF, particle filters, etc.
- Investigate sensor and filter performance issues. Debug through replay, simulation, residual-analysis and on-car testing
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- PhD or M.S. degree with equivalent experience in fields such as estimation, optimization, statistics, modeling, dynamics, control, etc.
- 5+ years of C++ programming experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- Domain knowledge and implementation experience with Kalman filtering, inertial sensors, and sensor fusion. Real world experience with system integration and deployment
- Experience with real-time robot/vehicle/drone positioning and localization
- System dynamics and kinematics modeling for ground vehicles
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.