Software Engineer, Positioning, Localization, and Inertial Navigation
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- Work on pose estimation and inertial navigation algorithms for deployment on the self driving car. Example Kalman filters, EKF, UKF, particle filters, etc.
- Investigate, test and calibrate sensors for integration into sensor fusion algorithms. Sensors include inertial sensors (accels and gyros), wheel speeds, and a variety of others
- Implement C++ on embedded platforms
- Data Analysis on existing log data to characterize performance and provide performance guarantees. Develop off-board regression tests and large scale optimization routines
- Collaborate with other teams to deliver determine position, resolution, scheduling, etc requirements
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- PhD or M.S. degree with equivalent experience in the fields of pose estimation, inertial navigation, inertial sensors, vehicle modeling, dynamics, control, etc.
- 5+ years of C++ programming experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- Domain knowledge and implementation experience with Kalman filtering, inertial sensors, and general sensor fusion. Real world experience with system integration and deployment
- Experience with real-time robot/vehicle/drone positioning and localization. System dynamics and kinematics modeling for ground vehicles
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.