Product Safety Counsel
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
At Waymo Legal, you will work on the exciting legal issues surrounding our transformational autonomous vehicle technology. We work closely with our policy, safety, security and privacy experts to help define transportation policy for the self-driving world to come, proposing new guidelines and consulting with lawmakers on regulatory changes that support and protect our users around the world. We also provide counsel to our product, engineering, and business teams, litigate cases, and make sure we comply with all global rules and regulations. We also assist with partnerships and commercial transactions and manage all of Waymo’s varied intellectual property.
In this role, you'll:
- Serve as Waymo’s primary counsel and subject matter expert on legal issues related to safety and risk management in the development of hardware and software, public roads testing, and commercial application of our self-driving technology.
- Work closely with and provide valued legal advice to the Engineering, Safety, Product Management, Operations and other teams across the company on issues related to product safety, risk assessment, deployment of emerging technology, and evaluation of safety critical systems.
- Respond to a wide-range of requests for legal advice from business and engineering units on novel legal issues related to autonomous vehicle technology.
- Think creatively, develop solutions, and bring industry experience and research to bear in addressing and effectively managing legal risk as Waymo continues developing and scaling a global autonomous vehicle business.
We'd like you to have:
- JD Degree
- Active and in good standing in at least one State Bar in the United States
- 7+ years of relevant law firm, government, or in-house experience practicing law
- 3+ years of experience advising on legal issues related to product safety or product liability
- Excellent analytical, communication and organizational skills, and demonstrated ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure
- Experience with self-driving cars, emerging technology development, and/or software development
- Experience providing legal advice related to product safety, development of safety-critical systems, and/or product liability.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.