Mechanical Simulation Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Novi, Michigan, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Engineer role, you'll:
- Structural analysis of mechanical components and assemblies
- Perform nonlinear structural modeling including contact for electronics sensors, modeling for material fatigue and failure, and NVH, durability and crash simulations
- Evaluate existing designs and propose new designs through parametric optimization
- Work in collaboration with design engineers to quickly analyze design concepts and offer creative solutions
- Perform root cause analysis of failure observed during testing
We'd like you to have:
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering w/ 10 years hands on practical experience
- Expertise in performing nonlinear analysis using FEA codes like Abaqus (preferred) or LS-Dyna, and working within Linux server based computational environment
- Expertise in modeling of commonly used materials in automotive and high tech industry, fasteners and structural adhesives
- Strong knowledge of fundamental concepts of continuum mechanics, demonstrated performance in concept phase analyses
- Experience with shock, impact and large deformation contact analysis
- Familiarity with material mechanical properties analysis / interpretation/ correlation with FEA model), and with CFD and optimization tools is plus
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.