Software Engineer - Lidar
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this software engineering role, you'll:
- Create and run software that stresses our lidar hardware (performance, fault injection, reliability, etc.)
- Run data analytics on fleet data to better understand key lidar hardware metrics such as SNR, power consumption, performance degradation
- Create tools and scripts to speed up hardware bringup and validate new designs
- Design diagnostic and debug tools to aid in fleet health metrics
- Automate hardware tests and contribute to manufacturing test suite
- Lab debug and triage of lidar hardware bugs
We'd like you to have:
- 5+ years of industry experience (3+ with MS) with C/C++ and Python while working on hardware systems - microcontrollers, FPGAs
- Experience using Verilog (preferred, but not required)
- Knowledgeable of power supplies, test equipment, electronics, and mechatronic systems
- Experience with lab bring-up, triage of complex electronic systems, and manufacturing testing
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment and working close to the hardware
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.