Vehicle Systems Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's systems engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this Systems Engineer, Vehicle role, you'll:
- Work with internal teams and vehicle partners to define and negotiate key vehicle function and attribute requirements based on overall program objectives and targets from first principles, test data, and previous experience
- Lead trade studies to help drive decisions and balance competing requirements. This involves a mix of multi-disciplinary problem solving, detailed analysis and testing, and close collaboration with domain experts and other stakeholders
- Define the platform systems engineering process for a particular vehicle program. Drive execution of this process ensuring requirements & verification of each platform group align with vehicle level requirements
- Work with teams during implementation to ensure requirements are met. Determine when to adjust requirements or modify the design
- Create and guide execution of a vehicle system test program that will evaluate the final performance of the vehicle functions and attributes and measure it against the defined requirements
We'd like you to have:
- BS/MS or equivalent years of experience in engineering field with a background in delivery of hardware and/or software
- At least 4 years experience in a mechanical and/or electrical design, systems engineering or vehicle evaluation role
- Experience in mapping out design and requirements spaces for complex vehicles or systems with attention to detail
- Experience in planning & testing safety-critical systems and conducting large tests such as vehicle thermal, crash & durability tests
- Experience working with automotive OEM evaluation processes and facilities with an understanding of a typical automotive development process including major milestones & deliverables
- A solid understanding of major automotive vehicle systems such as Powertrain, Thermal, Motion Control and Electrical Power supply and distribution systems is highly preferred
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.