Supply Base Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's supply chain and manufacturing teams are making the cars of the future a reality. We handle all production processes and supplier development strategies: from contracts and purchasing, to designs for improved manufacturing, through quality control and delivery. We collaborate actively with Waymo engineering teams as well as external suppliers and partners to make sure everything is built to spec and delivered on time to meet the rising demands of our business.
In this Supply Base Engineer role, you'll:
- Act as lead engineer to drive development of fabrication processes and capability assessment activities. Plan and lead DOE’s to drive timely and accurate design, development, and supply chain decisions
- Review part design documentation to ensure alignment with manufacturing process capability
- Review progress of development activities at supplier locations and serve as point of escalation for manufacturing processes that are not capable of meeting design intent
- Establish validation procedures to determine acceptance of tooling or fixtures into development builds and mass production
- Review supplier fixture designs, process flows, equipment selection, DFM and DOE proposals. Identify shortfalls and corrective actions to ensure design compliance
- Work with Global Supply Managers to assess supplier readiness to support build events and production ramp. Identify potential execution issues and provide recommendations to mitigate risk
We'd like you to have:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or equivalent practical experience
- Requires 5+ years experience supporting new product launches from a mechanical, tooling engineering, manufacturing, or product development perspective
- Experience with a range of fabrication processes such as CNC machining, metal casting, and plastic injection molding is required
- Experience working with contract manufacturers and mechanical suppliers in Asia
- 20% Travel required (Domestic and International)
- Strong project management, problem-solving, mechanical, and analytical skills
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.