Sensor Systems Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this Systems Engineer role, you'll:
- Research and understand the physics of self-driving car sensing technology (e.g. lidar, cameras, or radar)
- Lead the sign-off of self-driving car sensors
- Design, debug, and execute tests
- Analyze test data to ensure the system meets requirements
- Write reusable data analysis software and physics simulations
- Perform system-level trade studies
We'd like you to have:
- BS/MS or equivalent years of experience in physics, engineering, or other technical field
- 5 years of experience as a software, controls, sensors, or systems engineer
- Written analyses in a high level language: Python (numpy, matplotlib), or Matlab
- Experience with writing database queries (SQL)
- Written scientific or technical reports, a thesis for an advanced degree is a plus
- Technical expertise in a sensing technology. (e.g. lidar, cameras, or radar)
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.