UX Research Lead
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this senior role you'll:
- Establish an industry-leading, center of excellence for UX research in autonomous vehicles and Transportation-as-a-Service (TaaS), including pioneering new research methods and frameworks that have a measurable impact on our business
- Drive product and service improvements based on rigorous research in close collaboration with designers, engineers, product managers, and marketing
- Identify new opportunities for high-impact UX research across Waymo’s entire user journey while understanding and incorporating complex technical and business requirements
- Mentor researchers throughout the project lifecycle to ensure a high quality bar, grow the team’s competencies, and identify opportunities that would benefit from a blended research approach (qualitative, quantitative, and market research)
- Lead the research team’s efforts to create persuasive narratives that inspire innovative solutions and inform executive-level decisions
- Foster a team dynamic that encourages collaboration, learning, creativity, and growth
We’d like you to have:
- A masters degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Anthropology, Information Science, Applied Linguistics, or related field
- 10+ years of relevant work experience where you had a measurable impact on the product or service (especially early-stage, high-growth consumer products and/or TaaS)
- Experience leading a team of researchers with complimentary backgrounds (e.g. qualitative, quantitative, and market research)
- Knowledge of a wide range of UX research methods, such as lab-based usability studies, field research, usability inspections, ergonomics, participatory design, survey research, experiment design and statistical analysis
- Superb communication and persuasion skills, including the ability to influence key stakeholders
- An understanding of the value of UX research within a business context, including being able to communicate a point of view about what we should build, and a passion for using data to inform product decisions
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.