Research Manager, Insights Team
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this leadership role you'll:
- Establish an industry-leading, center of excellence for UX research in autonomous vehicles and Transportation-as-a-Service (TaaS), including pioneering new research methods and frameworks that have a measurable impact on our business
- Identify new opportunities for high-impact research that would benefit from a blended research approach (UX qualitative, UX quantitative, and market research)
- Develop a network across Waymo’s functional groups to understand Waymo’s business strategy and product plans, evangelize the team’s work, and create clear paths for impact
- Lead the team in creating and maintaining a research roadmap, set priorities, manage resourcing, and ensure a healthy balance between both early and late stage projects
- Act as a sounding board during the planning phase by guiding researchers in evaluating trade offs between different research methods
- During the analysis and synthesis phases, partner with researchers to help translate data into actionable insights and create persuasive narratives that inform both product and executive level decisions
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A masters degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Market Research/MBA, Anthropology, Information Science, Applied Linguistics, or a related field
- 15+ years of relevant work experience where you had a measurable impact on the product or service (especially early-stage, high-growth consumer products and/or services)
- Expert understanding of both UX and market research methods, including survey research, experiment design, ethnography, human factors, and usability
- Experience leading a team of researchers with complementary backgrounds (e.g. qualitative, quantitative, and market research)
- Superb communication and persuasion skills, including the ability to influence key stakeholders
- An understanding of the value of UX research within a business context, including being able to communicate a point of view about what we should build, and a passion for using data to inform product decisions
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.