Structural Mounting - Design Responsible Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Novi, Michigan, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Structural Mounting - Design Responsible Engineer role, you'll:
- Support vehicle prototype and production build activities, ensuring proper fit and function of components, and resolving issues
- Support and/or lead component level/ system level structural testing
- Concept, optimize and release structural components for mounting vehicle hardware. Determine the most appropriate materials and manufacturing technology to suit the load cases, build volumes and cost/mass targets.
- Provide engineering and tooling feasibility along with structural analysis
- Collaborate with cross functional engineering teams, manufacturing, supply chain, industrial design, suppliers, external partners, and other stakeholders to successfully deliver robust systems from concept through production launch
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 7+ years experience with structural component development (preferable automotive or aerospace), may include experience with body structures, vehicle closures, chassis or similar fields.
It’s preferred if you have:
- The ideal candidate would have experience in a mixture of multi material/ manufacturing process’ perhaps including e.g. stampings, extrusions, castings, composite plastics, overmolding, compression molding etc
- Experience with 3D&2D CAD design, CATIA V5/V6.
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal and visual) and ability to influence others.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.