Regional State Policy Lead
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team has a front seat in this exciting moment in the evolution of autonomous vehicle, transportation and tech policy. Successful navigation of the policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business. Our team works directly with policymakers and third party groups at the national, state and local levels to help advance transportation policy, educate on the safety benefits of the technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, and partnerships teams, and we work closely with highly-skilled legal and safety experts.
In this role you'll:
- Under the direction of the Head of State Policy, ensure priority state policy matters are properly tracked and addressed, and that matters of first-impression are appropriately categorized with clear policy direction developed and communicated
- Monitor state legislation and policy issues relevant to Waymo and self-driving technology/autonomous vehicles as they arise, and assist the team in developing our views on such issues
- Help ensure that state policymakers are aware of the benefits of the technology and are creating appropriate policy frameworks to help foster the innovation
- Participate/Engage with industry trade groups to ensure positioning amongst our trades aligns with Waymo’s short and long term goals and that we are speaking from one policy position/voice as an industry on key issues
- Attend industry and government meetings, events, conference in furtherance our state policy strategy
- Work closely with internal Marketing and Communications teams to ensure activities enhance one another’s goals and that we are fully leveraging speaking and other Policy team opportunities to maximize positive exposure for Waymo
We'd like you to have:
- 4-6 years of policy experience working on either issues relating to advanced technologies or complex public policy or government affairs
- Master’s degree in political science, public policy or related field, or equivalent practical experience at the state level
- Direct experience working with or in state government (e.g. state legislature or governor’s office)
- Willingness to travel throughout the U.S. on short notice and work remotely as needed (20-40%)
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.