Software Engineer, Routing Navigation
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully self-driving vehicles. Our software allows our vehicles to perceive the world around them, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer who’s curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
In this Software Engineering role, you'll be responsible for investigating and implementing strategies to:
- Optimize our real-time decision making process for our self-driving vehicles, helping deliver goods and passengers to their destinations efficiently and predictably.
- Implement performant algorithms to compute the paths to reach our destinations.
- Share and use information between cars to continuously improve the driving experience.
- Build tools (graphical debugging, route visualization, ground truth labelling, etc.) and dashboards to make data-driven decisions
- Work at the intersections of humans and autonomous vehicles and understand how customer preferences should influence our decision-making.
We'd like you to have at a minimum:
- A BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Robotics, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- A generalist mindset with background in algorithms
- Comfort as a full stack engineer
- Experience programming in C++ and with robust, safety-critical, efficient code
- Experience creating Routing algorithms (e.g. on geographical maps or other routing networks)
- Hands on experience with Machine Learning tools
- Data engineering and analysis
- Experience in UX Design
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.