Software Engineer, Simulation Realism
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Simulation is critical to the success of Waymo. It is extensively used in the development and testing of the self driving car (SDC) software. Compared to real-world driving, simulation is repeatable, modifiable, and easily parallelizable. The Realism team is focused on making simulation more realistic, which will open up new opportunities to extend the reach of simulation and directly accelerate Waymo's progress.
In this Simulation Software Engineering role, you'll:
- Model a range of human driving behaviors so the interaction with the SDC is realistic
- Modify the simulator and onboard software so the behaviors seen on the road can be reproduced in simulation deterministically
- Simulate field-of-view and inject noise to the objects in the scene so the SDC perceives them realistically
- Build machine learning models to weed out unrealistic simulations
We'd like you to have:
- Passionate about self-driving cars
- BS in CS, or related field
- Familiar with C++ and comfortable navigating around a large code base
- Proficient in data structure and advanced algorithms
- Experienced in robotics, machine learning, game AI, motion planning, or geometry computation (preferred but not required)
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.