Software Engineer, Simulation Realism
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Simulation is critical to the development and testing of the self driving car (SDC) software. It enables engineers to rapidly iterate and understand the subtle consequences of any change to the SDC software.
However, the utility of our simulations is predicated on the realism and fidelity of these results. Our team is responsible for building the simulated agents and generating realistic sensor data such that every simulated mile is as realistic as in the real world.
In this Simulation Software Engineering role, you'll:
- Design simulated/AI agents that interact in realistic ways with the self-driving car.
- Simulate sensor output and field of view of the SDC in the virtual driving environment.
- Modify the simulator and onboard software so the behaviors seen on the road can be reproduced in simulation deterministically.
- Filter simulated data and detect the most interesting issues.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A BS or MS in Computer Science or a similar discipline.
- Passionate about self-driving cars.
- Desire to learn and validate the self driving car software and root cause issues.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Writing C++ and comfortable navigating a large code base.
- Working on large systems where performance and robustness matters.
- Designing and building game engine, game AI, or the platform for agent scripting.
- Computational geometry, camera rendering, or simulating sensor output.
- Motion planning or modeling human behavior on the road.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.