Software Engineer, Front End - Simulation Productivity
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Our team is focused on using simulation to accelerate the development of self-driving car software. The broader Waymo software team uses our tools as a fundamental part of their development process, as we provide the tools to rapidly and thoroughly test a code change and then determine whether that change improves the car's behavior. Our work involves reasoning about data, talking to a diverse set of internal users, building large-scale distributed systems, and designing front-ends that clearly explain how the car's behavior changed. Our vision is to tell engineers within minutes whether a code change improves safety and comfort, and if not, what areas they would need to keep working on.
In this software engineering role, you'll:
- Expand on our existing dashboards and visualizations so that users can clearly interpret the results of a prospective code change
- Work with frontend code (primarily Angular / Typescript) and a C++ backend, as well as UX
- Interact closely with a Project Manager and a large set of very invested internal users
- The tools this person will build will help distill a mountain of data down into clear decisions about software change trade-offs and help prioritize other Waymo engineering work
We'd like you to have:
- 2+ years of engineering experience
- Web frontend experience (ideally Angular / Typescript)
- C++ experience
- Interest in learning from and optimizing for users
- Passionate about self-driving cars
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.