Design Release Engineer - Thermal Systems
Mountain View, California, United States
Novi, Michigan, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Thermal Systems Design Engineer role, you'll:
- Develop and release thermal system components and subsystems into production, collaborating with the thermal systems attribute leader, cross functional engineering teams, manufacturing team, engineering partners, and other stakeholders including our OEM partners, analysis group, and testing team.
- Support source selection activities, working with the Global Supply Chain team and suppliers to specify components, and ensure timely delivery for vehicle build activities.
- Utilize CAD tools (CATIA V6 / ENOVIA) and perform or direct CAD design personnel on packaging, integrating, and detailing components.
- Ensure on time delivery against program targets for cost, weight and performance.
Execute quality and robustness activities such as DFMEA (Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis) is the application of the Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) method specifically to product/service design.
- Support vehicle prototype and production build activities, ensuring proper fit and function of components, and resolving issues.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering and 7+ years automotive engineering experience.
- Proven track record of delivery from concept through launch; Proficient with CAD design tools (Catia V6) and release processes (Enovia).
- Able to support regular travel domestically and overseas, up to 20%.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Expertise and experience with the design and release of automotive thermal systems, including conventional powertrain cooling, e-powertrain, or HVAC systems.
- Ability to thrive when managing rapid development cycles involving experimental hardware.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.