Design Release Engineer, Vehicle Engineering
Mountain View, California, United States
Novi, Michigan, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Design Release Engineer role, you'll:
- Be responsible for designing, releasing, and delivery, from concept to production, systems required for the integration of self driving systems, including but not limited to a combination of the following:
- plastic trim panels
- structural supports (moldings, casting, extrusion, stamping)
- custom interior (console assemblies, headliners, interior hard and soft trim)
- custom exterior (fascia, grille, sensor housings - painted, chrome, mold in color)
- electrical harness & cooling tube routing
- Support source selection activities, working with the Global Supply Chain team and suppliers to specify components, and ensure timely delivery for vehicle build activities
- Utilize CAD tools (CATIA V6 / ENOVIA) and perform or direct CAD design personnel on packaging, integrating, and detailing components
- You will ensure on time delivery against program targets for cost, weight, structural performance, NVH, squeak & rattle, craftsmanship, etc. Execute quality and robustness activities such as DFMEA and DVP&R
- Support vehicle prototype and production build activities, ensuring proper fit and function of components, and resolving issues
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years automotive engineering experience
- Basic proficiency with CAD design tools and process, and experience overseeing production drawing releases, including material selection, grain definition, and GD&T
- Experience with the design and release of automotive interior systems, including injection moldings and compression formed components.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Ability to thrive when managing rapid development cycles involving experimental hardware
- Expertise with part approval processes.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.