Systems Engineer, Robotics Software
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this Systems Engineering role, you'll:
- Find patterns in operations and testing issues that span software modules, prioritize them, and work with the development teams to develop cross-team solutions that have high impact by generalizing well
- Develop software performance specifications, defining the scenarios the car must handle, and what acceptable performance in those scenarios is. Also develop quantified interface specifications between major software modules (e.g. perception & planning)
- Develop methods to verify (is it doing things we know correctly) and validate (is it doing the correct things) software features using a mixture of simulation, closed-course testing, and public-roads testing. You will plan and execute tests, analyze test data, and understand and resolve defects, leveraging the operations team where possible. You will also work with the simulation team to continually expand what can be tested rigorously in simulation
- Use the specifications and tests you’ve developed, your cross-team insights, and close collaboration with software engineers to accelerate the development of robust new features
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BA/BS degree in a technical field: computer science, physics, robotics, or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years relevant work experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- Have, or quickly develop, a strong understanding of complex robotics perception, scene understanding, prediction, and planning algorithms and the real-world issues inherent in these domains
- The careful mindset required for safety-critical development, the ability to work quickly, and the judgement to balance those qualities
- Strong test definition and execution skills for complex systems. Be able to define both wise overall approaches and the details of individual tests. Have the software engineering skills to write software required to execute tests. Communicate clearly with operations teams implementing or executing tests. Be driven to find and resolve issues
- Strong data analysis skills (e.g. using Python or MATLAB), including using large datasets. Ability to write C++ code when needed
- Robotics software implementation expertise (but a desire to “zoom out” and work with cross-module performance specs, architecture, and tests)
- Formal systems engineering experience. Capture the benefits of systems engineering with the rigor appropriate for safety-critical systems, without the overhead present in some organizations
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.