Software / Research Engineer, Planning and Motion Control - Ann Arbor, MI
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Michigan Software Group takes on some of the most challenging problems within self-driving system development. We develop new algorithms, perform testing and experiments, and work with the rest of the Waymo team to extend the self-driving system. Our team is intentionally cross-functional, working on multiple aspects of the self-driving software. We are seeking talented teammates who are hungry to explore and solve new problems.
In this role, you’ll:
- Develop planning and/or motion control algorithms for complex and nuanced real-world autonomous driving problems
- Grow a fundamental understanding of the next driving challenges by analyzing real-world logs collected on our state-of-the-art fleet
- Work with world-class experts in the fields of autonomous vehicles, robotics, AI, and machine learning
- Work with and enhance Waymo’s leading-edge simulation, testing, and verification technologies
We’d like you to have:
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Robotics, Controls or similar, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in motion planning and control (e.g., trajectory optimization, planning under uncertainty, control theory, optimal control, guidance, navigation and control, etc.)
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- Experience programming in C++
And bonus points if you have:
- Experience solving software problems using geometry and linear algebra
- Experience writing robust, safety-critical, efficient code
- Experience in: Probabilistic Robotics, AI, Data analysis at scale, Machine Learning
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.