Systems Engineer, Fault Protection
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this Systems Engineer, Fault Protection role, you'll:
- Analyze faults and overall fault rates observed in the test fleet, including preliminary root cause analysis for faults originating in both hardware and software
- Develop strategies that can be incorporated into the development process that prevent the introduction of fault-related hardware and software regressions
- Develop processes and infrastructure for early discovery of new faults and reduce the cycle time between discovery and verification of issue fixes
- Partner with hardware, software, and operations to understand, prioritize and manage faults through various methods, including both incorporating engineering fixes and employing operational mitigations
- Maintain a constant state of current and projected problem areas from a fault-perspective. Communicate prioritization and issue resolution path forward to senior engineering leadership
- Balance competing requirements across the system, which involves multidisciplinary problem solving, detailed analysis and testing, and driving consensus among domain experts and other stakeholders
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Robotics, technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of experience, including at least 3 years software development or test experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- Strong systems engineering fundamentals across the full product lifecycle, from system architecture through transition into operations, especially for complex systems with safety-critical hardware and software components
- Strong test planning, execution, troubleshooting and data analysis skills, at the sub-system and full system level
- Proven ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and lead others to solve technical problems even when you don’t manage them directly
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.