Systems Engineer, Trucking
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this Systems Engineer, Trucking role, you'll:
- Accelerate Waymo’s trucking initiative by leading the systems engineering efforts, and working collaboratively with the functional engineering teams
- Define and describe the high level requirements for a successful autonomous trucking deployment, including the requirements for the chassis, sensing systems, and autonomous behaviors
- Work with OEMs, Tier 1 suppliers, and internal hardware and SW teams to develop a robust autonomous architecture that can meet the challenging requirements of autonomous trucking
- Develop testing plans and capabilities to verify the desired performance of the chosen architectures and associated prototypes, leveraging simulation, hardware in the loop testing, as well as field driving
- Bring a deep technical knowledge of at least one of the major sub-systems (Sensing and Perception, On-board SW, Motion control, Truck Chassis development, Fault handling
- Propose personnel additions to the trucking initiatives and help recruit those individuals
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BS/MS/PhD in relevant Engineering or related field (including ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
- Strong foundation in system engineering principles such as requirements definition, formal verification and validation methods.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Demonstrated success leading mid-sized teams
- Demonstrated experience designing or testing electromechanical systems, particularly automotive, aerospace systems or other safety critical systems
- 10+ years engineering experience a plus
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.