Software Engineer, Mapping
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Mapping team’s goal is to build a high resolution map of the world to support safe self-driving. We work on creating the map using a combination of automatic and manual techniques and build the infrastructure to store, process, and distribute the map. Our team collaborates with several other Waymo teams that consume map data.
In this role, you'll work on all aspects of delivering a high quality map to the car, including:
- Building backend infrastructure for storing and processing many forms of map data
- Applying automated techniques to generate maps from raw data
- Improving our internal tools for viewing and editing maps
- Scaling our systems to support mapping the world
You need to have:
- B.S, M.S. or Ph.D in Computer Science or a similar technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Willingness to own problems end-to-end and work on various parts of the system
- Experience working on scalable backend servers
- A passion for good software engineering
We’d prefer if you have:
- Experience with C++
- Experience with large-scale data processing using frameworks like Google Data Flow or Apache Bean
- Experience with SLAM, probabilistic filtering, and/or optimization
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.