Software Engineer, Mapping & Localization
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Mapping team’s goal is to build a high resolution map of the world to support safe self-driving. We work on creating the map using a combination of automatic and manual techniques and build the infrastructure to store, process, and distribute the map. Our team collaborates with several other Waymo teams that consume map data.
In this software engineering role, you'll:
- Solve problems in mapping and localization using a variety of techniques, including SLAM, machine learning, and optimization
- Write production-quality C++ to deploy these solutions on our fleet of self-driving cars
- Evaluate the real world performance of our systems
- Collaborate with teams working on perception, planning, and inertial navigation
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Robotics, Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of industry experience
- Strong proficiency in C++
- Ability to both experiment with new approaches using the latest research and see them through to production
- Experience with SLAM, probabilistic filtering, and/or optimization
It’s preferred if you have:
- Industry experience coding in C++
- Passion for autonomous vehicles
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.