Automation Engineer - Advanced Manufacturing
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
As a automation engineer, you will design, deliver, and maintain manufacturing processes and automation solutions for new products. You will be involved in initial design, prototyping and evaluation of designs for precision mechanical systems. You will also collaborate with the internal manufacturing team and external suppliers to ensure successful scale-up of the manufacturing processes and tools.
- Assess automation technologies and processes
- Develop, test, and qualify precision, high-yield manufacturing equipment.
- Work with design engineers to solve a variety of challenges, incl. alignment strategies, adhesive selection, and DFx
- Develop and deliver complete automation tools
- Work with design engineers to clearly specify and fully document design requirements and process/manufacturing requirements.
- Work with production engineers to define and execute process and tool qualification processes;
- Work with ODMs, CMs, and suppliers to prioritize and solve manufacturing and design related issues
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or related engineering discipline or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with CAD tools
- Strong record of delivering precision automation solutions
- Experience working with equipment manufacturers to deliver stable automation platforms
It’s preferred if you have:
- Excellent communication and people skills
- 5-10 years of hands-on experience on relevant engineering projects
- Demonstrated advanced process development background
- Automation SW experience
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.