Intern, Software Engineering, Routing
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully self-driving vehicles. Our software allows our vehicles to perceive the world around them, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer or researcher who’s curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
The routing team is responsible for determining the fastest, safest, and most comfortable route from point A to point B on a city-wide scale. In this role, interns will create real production software to control the high-level, real-time onboard routing behavior of the self-driving car. Depending on background, interns will develop new machine-learned models for routing behavior, create tools to help understand routing decisions, or develop more robust state-of-the-art search algorithms.
In this routing internship, you'll:
- Develop new machine learned models of real-world routing behavior, develop new robust graph search algorithms, or develop tools to visualize and understand routing decisions and user preferences
- Write code that can run in realtime on a self-driving car at scale
- Create routes which are safe, comfortable, and pleasant for the user
- Extensively test new routing behavior in simulated environments
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Must be enrolled in a BS/MS/PHD program (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Robotics, similar technical field of study
- A solid foundation in software engineering
- Strong experience with data structures and algorithms
- Comfortability with C++
- Background in one or more of machine learning, UX design, and/or algorithms research
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience writing performance-sensitive systems
- Experience deploying long-lived machine-learned models
- Experience with motion planning systems
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.