Intern, Software Engineer, LiDAR
Mountain View, California, United States
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
High quality point cloud data is critical to the safe and correct operation of self driving cars. The LiDAR team creates state of the art LiDAR sensors capable of perceiving the world with a high degree of accuracy. We apply advanced algorithms and sophisticated signal processing techniques to extract meaningful information about the surrounding world. As a software engineer you will work with physicists, mechanical, optical, and electrical engineers to better inform the algorithms we develop and the LiDARs we design.
The production software that we write needs to be of the highest caliber, as it needs to run in real-time, often requiring nanosecond precision, and be optimized for high throughput. We perform analyses on massive amounts of data using cutting edge Big Data technologies.
We are looking for creative Software Engineers that like playing with hardware, develop sophisticated algorithms, and thrive in an interdisciplinary team setting.
In this Software Engineer, LiDAR internship, you'll:
- Develop software for the control, calibration, processing and analysis of our next generation LiDAR technology
- Collaborate with teams consuming point cloud data (such as perception, simulation and mapping) to derive project requirements
- Write mission-critical, robust and safety-driven code to run in production environment
- Analyze large amounts of point cloud data to build sophisticated models of LiDAR performance and the surrounding environment
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- An M.S or PhD in Computer Science/Robotics/Electrical Engineering or B.S. in a similar field with significant hands on experience in industry writing production software
- Working knowledge of C++
- Working knowledge of Python
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience working with point cloud data
- Knowledge of optics
- Experience with computer graphics algorithms
- Experience with Map Reduce / Hadoop
- Embedded programming, Verilog, RTL, FPGA
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.