Camera Optical Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Camera Optical Engineer role, you'll:
- Develop and test high performance imaging and illumination systems
- Analyze and model optical systems to determine performance impacts from tolerancing, stray light, and environmental effects
- Investigate future technologies and architectures
- Work closely with mechanical engineers, electrical engineers and supply chain to develop robust, high performance, affordable systems
- Develop specifications for optical components and work with external suppliers to bring them into production
- Travel internationally to vendor facilities as required
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- MS or Ph.D. in Optics, Physics, EE, or a closely related field and 5+ years of experience
- Hands-on camera optical design experience for rugged environment with wide thermal operational range
It’s preferred if you have:
- Track record of innovation and solving challenging problems
- Experience with optical design software such as Zemax, Code V, FRED, LightTools
- Experience in high-volume manufacturing environment, and have worked with suppliers
- Working knowledge of Matlab or Python
- Excellent technical communication skills
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.