Intern, Systems Engineering, Vehicle
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
As a Vehicle Systems Test Engineering Intern, you will work closely with Waymo systems and design engineers to define & execute vehicle attribute verification plans which ensure the vehicle meets Waymo’s standards of performance, quality, safety, and reliability. You will prove out requirements developed by systems engineers through these test plans, and also conduct discovery studies on vehicle systems to find areas that may not covered by requirements. Upon test execution, you will improve component and system designs by conducting root cause analyses & debugging of issues found in developmental testing, feeding these learnings into future design cycles.
In this internship, you’ll
- Work closely with Waymo systems and design engineers & vehicle partners to develop vehicle and system level design verification plans (DVP) based on requirements
- Execution of vehicle level DVPs including Mechanical, Electrical & Thermal System testing
- Perform bring-up & debugging of test vehicle properties, summarizing lessons learned for future builds
- Analyze test results against requirements and conduct root cause studies for issues found in developmental testing
- Participate in design reviews and technical discussions, contributing to improved designs through DVP result feedback
- Deliver timely and concise reports of test findings for evaluation
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Currently pursuing a BA/BS/MS in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or another related field, the intern should be completing their degree by Summer 2020
- Strong problem solving skills
- A desire and ability to learn quickly and a strong work ethic
It’s preferred if you have:
- Hands-on experience working on test design and execution
- Experience managing a project such as a student project team or lab project
- Good technical communication skills
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.