Hardware-In-Loop (HIL) Testing Lead
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
We are looking for a talented engineer to lead Waymo’s hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) test programs — from HIL setup definitions through automated testing infrastructure, and from single sensor to whole-vehicle “Car-on-Bench” scale. This position requires a strong background in electromechanical and software systems, and how to test those systems. The role offers a good deal of responsibility and a great opportunity to contribute to Waymo’s next-generation of self-driving technology, particularly as it pertains to full-system integration, verification, validation.
In this role you will
- Own the vision and execution for our Car-On-Bench and other HIL initiatives at Waymo.
- Provide expertise in identifying opportunities for Car-On-Bench and HIL testing in module and system-level testing efforts.
- Design, maintain, and coordinate hardware and software testing infrastructure and schema for Car-On-Bench and other HIL testing.
- Work collaboratively with product development and infrastructure engineering teams to define and deliver the highest-impact testing solutions possible.
- Champion, evangelize, and advocate for the quality and velocity benefits that HIL testing and automation can provide to all of Waymo’s hardware teams and development phases.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, physics, or other technical field.
- Experience working with, designing, and leading hardware-in-loop (HIL) test systems, as well as bench setups for large HW/SW systems.
- Experience with defining use cases and requirements from internal “customer” teams and stakeholders, and delivering technical solutions that meet those needs.
- Electrical testing, software testing, and debug capability.
- Technical breadth and leadership skills to bridge various functional teams.
- Basic software programming or scripting skills (e.g., Python, C/C++).
It’s preferred if you have:
- Demonstrated successful technical leadership of mid-sized teams (with or without formal people-management).
- Experience designing or testing electromechanical systems, particularly automotive, aerospace, or other safety-critical systems.
- Strong foundation in system engineering principles such as requirements definition, system integration, formal verification, and validation methods.
- 10+ years engineering experience.
- Advanced degree in engineering, computer science, physics, or other technical field.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.