Software Engineering, Perception, Text Detection and OCR
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Perception Team at Waymo builds the system that “sees” the world around the self-driving car. Text in the environment often conveys relevant information that the self-driving car needs to make decisions. It is especially critical for recognizing various types of signs, and certain types of vehicles. In addition, text is a powerful source of information that can be used in data mining and understanding of our vast amount of driving data. Here at Waymo, we have access to millions of miles of real driving data from a diverse set of sensors. The ability to detect and understand text will add great value to both perception and mapping.
In this role, you will:
- Investigate and develop computer vision algorithms and machine learning models for text detection and OCR.
- Deploy these models and systems on a large fleet of Waymo vehicles.
- Use these models in data mining.
At a minimum we would like you to have:
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or a related field.
- Hands-on experience in computer vision and machine learning projects (2+ years).
- Strong C++ and/or Python programming skills.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Knowledge of Tensorflow.
- Experience in text detection and/or OCR techniques.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.