Intern, Hardware, Technical Program Manager
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
As a Technical Program Manager, you will work closely with hardware engineers, software engineers, product managers, and Original Device Manufacturers (ODM)/Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) to get high-quality products built, tested and released on time. You will coordinate many moving parts with excellent communication skills. Additionally, you will serve as point of contact for questions about schedules, quality and progress updates. You will identify and manage risks with excellent judgment, deciding when is the right time to accelerate or stop production.
In this internship, you’ll:
- Develop and manage hardware project schedules with engineering teams and communicate project status to stakeholders
- Work closely with ODMs and vendors on product development schedules, dependencies and budgets
- Coordinate with multiple stakeholders to understand and document long-term technology objectives and roadmaps that ensure product differentiation
- Identify risks, develop mitigation strategies and facilitate conflict resolution
- Interact with vendors and product engineering teams; set and manage schedules and milestones.
- Create new process and initiatives to improve Technical Program Management functional across organizations
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
- 2 or more years of experience in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field
- Experience in program management, product management or related product life cycle development
- Experience in Automotive or consumer electronics
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience in product development, program management, project management, professional services or engineering management within the technology industry
- Demonstrated understanding of product life cycle, tools and processes and operations planning
- Strong technical, analytical and cross-functional collaboration skills
- Familiarity with consumer hardware development life cycles and ODM / CM working models
- Effective business judgment and leadership skills with the ability to collaborate across technical and cross-functional teams and vendors
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.