Hardware Engineer, LIDAR Validation
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
This full time position is on the LIDAR technology team where you will be responsible for developing characterization and test systems across the product lifecycle. This role will require an understanding of fundamental disciplines that are relevant for laser rangefinder system operation. Prior working knowledge of optoelectronic devices, lasers, photodetectors, data analysis and hands-on prototyping will be relevant. The ideal candidate will have strong background in EE, physics, lasers, photodetectors and prior hands on lab experience.
In this Hardware Engineer, LIDAR Validation role you will:
- Develop and test high performance LIDAR systems
- Test and analyze electro-optical subsystems to evaluate performance
- Design and execute LIDAR field measurements and structured tests
- Work closely with electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, manufacturing engineers, reliability engineers to develop robust, high performance, affordable systems
- Investigate future technologies and architectures
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BS or MS in Physics, Applied Physics or a similar field
- Hands-on experience with electro-optical components and systems
- Track record of innovation and solving challenging problems
- Software scripting skills
- Excellent technical communication skills
It’s preferred if you have:
- PhD in Physics, Applied Physics or a similar field
- Strong understanding of optical semiconductors
- Working knowledge of Python/Numpy
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.