Intern, Operations, Driving Operations
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Operations keeps Waymo’s business rolling. We are the vehicle operators, service technicians and customer support specialists who test and maintain our self-driving vehicles and bring help and guidance to our passengers and customers. The Operations team is the heart of Waymo’s testing operations and ride hailing service, handling every detail to make sure that each ride is the ultimate user experience.
As an intern in the Driving Operations team at Waymo, you will be challenged with two different projects:
The first project includes gathering performance data and design a set of Operational KPIs and goals to help the team to scale worldwide, aligning operations goals with company OKRs.
The second project involves a comprehensive evaluation of the current operations staffing model and a business decision recommendation, based on a cost-benefit analysis and a risk mitigation plan.
In this internship, you’ll:
- Gather information from different data sources to assess advantages and disadvantages of as-is staffing situation
- Propose a new and scalable staffing model, assessing risks and cost implications
- Propose a transition and change management plan to have the least amount of impact in day-to-day operation results
- Standardize and provide recommendations for improvement in current job checklists
- Evaluate existing performance metrics and KPIs, assessing differences across different locations and limitations
- Recommend new/reviewed set of metrics, standard across locations, assigning common goals and region specific targets as needed
- Propose a communication plan to ensure successful governance and standardization on performance management across locations
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Currently pursuing a Full-Time M.B.A. program at a top tier university
- Strong analytical skills and ability to recommend data driven business decisions
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
- Experience in managing operations or in operations consulting in a multinational organization
- Positive attitude, high emotional intelligence (EQ), and entrepreneurial spirit
- Global mindset, flexible work style and comfort with ambiguity
- Ability to travel to different U.S. locations
It’s preferred if you have:
- 5 or plus years experience in Operations or Operations Consulting
- Experience in preparing and delivering presentations to Senior Executive Level
- Certification or strong track record on working with Continuous Improvement Methodologies (e.g. Lean, Six Sigma)
- Experience leading large and diverse teams in a global organization
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.