Mountain View, California, United States
Novi, Michigan, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Materials Engineer role, you'll:
- Consult and communicate your knowledge of materials and production technologies for part design in accordance with engineering, supply chain, manufacturing and quality assurance teams.
- Take ownership of the CAD materials library, be responsible for the implementation, upkeep and development of this library to support the Waymo Engineering teams needs.
- Set up Requirements/Best Practices library to aide engineers in deciding on the correct materials for a given design.
- Perform/conduct/specify virtual validation analysis using first principles, hand calculations, CAD and CAE.
- Define verification methods and consult/advise on the findings and use these to drive correlation to virtual analysis. Where necessary take ownership/delivery responsibility of the required testing.
- Review engineering performance and report to engineering management on fundamental engineering issues and training recommendations.
- Utilize Google productivity software such as Google Sheets, Google Docs and Google Slides
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Minimum of Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant technical discipline
- Minimum 6 years experience in either: automotive, aerospace or hi-tech electro-mechanical design and development or suitable combination of these.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Basic knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience with CATIA V5 (V6R2015x or higher)
- Experience with ENOVIA
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.