Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Use your knowledge of complex hardware/software systems, systems engineering best practices, and program management principles to increase the speed and confidence with which Waymo develops and deploys new driving capabilities needed to advance the company’s business
- Own the performance of one or multiple driving capabilities. Develop clear and comprehensive requirements, and decompose them into actionable, testable invariants for engineers
- Work with technical teams to deeply understand the problem space and help them prioritize the right long-term solutions to be working on. Lead useful trade studies that inform where to allocate risk and complexity across the system
- Develop novel test and evaluation strategies that are designed to illuminate where performance needs to improve, and prevent regressions. Drive and oversee their execution, and effectively communicate results to stakeholders. Make your testing fast, repeatable, and reliable
- Lead and organize test and design reviews for senior leadership and other stakeholders
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 5+ years relevant work experience in robotics, aerospace or automotive systems engineering, product management, or equivalent project management experience in a technology company.
- BA/BS degree in a technical, quantitative, or finance--oriented field or equivalent practical experience.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Strong physics and software engineering fundamentals, and a graduate degree in a field directly related to delivering deep technical insights into the performance of complex systems.
- Have, or quickly develop, a strong understanding of robotics perception, scene understanding, prediction, and planning algorithms and the real-world issues inherent in these domains.
- High proficiency with structuring strategic analysis, developing analytical models, and telling stories using docs, spreadsheets, and presentations.
- Strong data analysis skills (e.g. using Python or MATLAB), including using large datasets.
- The careful mindset required for safety-critical development, the ability to work quickly, and the judgement to balance those qualities.
- Enjoy working across teams. Be able to lead others to solve technical problems even when you don’t manage them directly.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.