Electrical Hardware Engineer - NPI
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this hardware engineering role, you'll:
- Initial testing of new circuits and new designs in the lab - working with lab test equipment, scopes, signal analyzers and multimeters, thermal chambers, etc.
- Working closely with software engineers to bring up new circuits and systems - networking interfaces, control loops, embedded interfaces (SPI, I2C).
- Diagnosis of manufacturing issues - cracked traces/vias, rotated or incorrect value components, cracked solder joints, broken wirebonds or cracked die attach.
- Interpretation of test results to triage failing devices from manufacturing or the field
- Work with contract manufacturers to diagnose and root out sources of defects. Visiting contract manufacturers for initial builds to ensure product is being built correctly and that low hanging fruit design improvement ideas are fed back to designers.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering or a similar discipline. An equivalent amount of real-life experience is also welcome
- 3+ years experience in industry
- Strong experience with electrical test and measurement equipment, including high speed oscilloscope measurements.
- The ability to debug complex electrical, mechanical, optical and software systems
It is preferred you have:
- Experience with computer aided design tools for printed circuit board design.
- Working knowledge of C++ and Python.
- Experience with working with contract manufacturers of various levels from prototype to high volume
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.