Systems Engineer, Motion Control
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this Systems Engineer, Motion Control role, you'll:
- Design and evaluate the electrical, mechanical and software architecture of the motion control system, including redundant steering and braking, chassis control, and electric/hybrid/conventional powertrain
- Drive architecture discussions focusing on fault protection, performance, and reliability. Contribute to hardware or software design reviews
- Define and manage requirements for integration of redundant drive-by-wire actuation systems for a self-driving vehicle. Synthesize control architecture requirements by marrying self-driving system needs and constraints with actuation and powertrain capabilities. Drive development of a safety-critical integration that balances performance, schedule, cost, and technical risk
- Own definition, verification, and validation of system motion control performance requirements during nominal and faulted conditions
- Plan, execute, and document tests to verify and validate performance, expose issues, and identify root causes. Test complex hardware/software systems that push the frontier in hardware design, software design, and system integration. Conduct hands-on test preparation and execution, as well as write complete test plans, procedures, and reports
- Coordinate motion control systems integration including prototype development and debugging, system verification and validation, and fleet deployment
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant Engineering or related field (including ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
- 8+ years engineering experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- 3+ years experience designing or testing electromechanical systems, particularly automotive, aerospace systems or other safety critical systems
- SW development experience (including C/C++, Python, or MATLAB)
- Strong foundation in system engineering principles such as requirements definition, formal verification and validation methods
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.