Electro-Mechanical Test Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this test engineer role, you'll:
- Collaborate with a team of mechanical design & release engineers as well as vehicle integration and software engineers to design and detail components, functions and interfaces and for a variety of custom testing rigs and platforms. This is a creative role with many layers of ambiguity. Creativity, managing a small team as well as creating integration concepts with expectation for a quick turn-around for rapid feedback from the team are critical to this role.
- Design, develop and specify functional requirements for various test rigs that can simulate real world fouling conditions. Plan and manage various suppliers to build and install these components. Estimate schedule to develop and install components and track progress of various projects.
- Support all vehicle build phases by creating test infrastructure and enabling the collection of data that can benchmark the performance of released components. Manage changes to resolve issues and improve robustness of component designs.
- Develop and present designs for review - considerations include time to implement, cost and effectiveness.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 4+ years of recent hands-on experience in test system development or testing and troubleshooting of complex electro mechanical subsystems
- 4+ years of experience in managing suppliers of sub components or integrated systems
- Proven track record of working on early concepts with skills to accelerate ideas to physical systems
It’s preferred if you have:
- 8+ years of industry experience related to the design of automotive systems
- Attentive to details
- Strong communication and team working skills
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.