Software Engineer, Tools and Automation
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this Software Engineer, Tools and Automation, you'll:
- Be responsible for understanding the group’s needs, assessing the existing tools and automation frameworks against those needs, and delivering a roadmap of new and enhanced tools and automation frameworks to increase the productivity of the team
- Be expected to use critical judgement and architectural insights to understand when and how to buy, borrow and build
- Purchase solutions from external parties where appropriate solutions exist (buy)
- Collaborate with developers inside Waymo to use or modify existing tools to make the more useful for Systems Engineering (borrow)
- Design and build new tools or integrations that do not current exist (build). You may build these tools and integrations yourself, or hire individuals and firms to complete the work
- Be expected to project and represent the staffing and budgetary needs required to successfully transform the efficiency of the Systems Engineering group
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant Engineering or related field (Software Engineering) or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years development experience of tools and automation, including data visualization
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience with testing and automation for integrated hardware / software systems (hardware in the loop testing)
- Experience developing data visualization systems
- SW development experience (including C/C++, Python, etc.)
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.