Software Engineer, Perception, Robotics
Mountain View, California, United States
Software Engineer, Perception - Robotics
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Perception team at Waymo develops cutting-edge technologies and machine learning models to enable our self-driving cars to make sense of the world. This requires detection, recognition, tracking and understanding of all relevant objects in the surrounding of the vehicle. It is vital to perform these tasks precisely for safe navigation in complex traffic scenarios and such level of precision is only possible by relying on a diverse set of sensors including LIDARs, cameras and radars.
We are looking for software engineers and roboticists who are passionate about evolving the safety-critical perception system for self-driving cars beyond the state of the art.
In this role, you will
- Collaborate closely with a creative team of engineers and researchers.
- Analyze dependencies and interactions in a complex robotic system and creatively overcome limitations of individual components and sensor modalities through orchestration, fusion or design of missing links.
- Prototype and deploy robust and reliable solutions to cutting-edge perception problems.
- Gain a deep understanding of not only the self-driving technology, but also its real-world challenges and how to convert such technology into real products.
We’d like you to have at a minimum
- B.Sc. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or a related field.
- Hands-on experience in robotics or autonomous systems projects (2+ years).
- Strong algorithm and C++ programming skills.
- Excitement to dive into complex systems and improve them.
It’s preferred if you have
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in robotics, autonomous systems or a related field.
- Extensive experience in robotics/autonomous systems.
- Industry research or production experience.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.