Software Engineer, Perception - Robotics
Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Perception team at Waymo develops cutting-edge technologies and machine learning models to enable our self-driving cars to make sense of the world. This requires detection, recognition, tracking and understanding of all relevant objects in the surrounding of the vehicle. It is vital to perform these tasks precisely for safe navigation in complex traffic scenarios and such level of precision is only possible by relying on a diverse set of sensors including LIDARs, cameras and radars.
We are looking for software engineers and roboticists who are passionate about evolving the safety-critical perception system for self-driving cars beyond the state of the art.
In this role, you will
- Collaborate closely with a creative team of engineers and researchers.
- Analyze dependencies and interactions in a complex robotic system and creatively overcome limitations of individual components and sensor modalities through orchestration, fusion or design of missing links.
- Prototype and deploy robust and reliable solutions to cutting-edge perception problems.
- Gain a deep understanding of not only the self-driving technology, but also its real-world challenges and how to convert such technology into real products.
We’d like you to have at a minimum
- B.Sc. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or a related field.
- Hands-on experience in robotics or autonomous systems projects (2+ years).
- Strong algorithm and C++ programming skills.
- Excitement to dive into complex systems and improve them.
It’s preferred if you have
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in robotics, autonomous systems or a related field.
- Extensive experience in robotics/autonomous systems.
- Industry research or production experience.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.